Building Our Team's Voice on Social Media

When I joined infoDev last summer, our social media presence was inconsistent at best. On our Twitter account, there might be a flurry of unfocused photos from panel discussions followed by a week of silence, and the occasional dispassionate appeal to read our latest press release or report.

I wasn't sure where to begin when I took over the reigns, but I knew I was passionate about the topic of entrepreneurship in emerging markets. I saw compelling graphics beginning to emerge from other World Bank accounts. And I remembered a rule of thumb from a marketing course: Only 20 percent of content should contain calls-to-action -- for example, advertising an event or publication -- while the remaining 80 percent should be fascinating, shareable content.

So I began to re-tweet the type of stories I liked to read: interviews with the founders of a new business accelerator for Nigerian women, Fast Company articles on diversity in tech, editorials about what's broken in the world of global development. Significantly, I aimed to amplify the voices of African and Caribbean entrepreneurs, rather than think tanks or multilateral institutions. Soon enough, engagement began to rise.

The final challenge was to boost the professionalism of our cover photos and graphics. With the Photoshop skills I gained at General Assembly, I've been working to inject some fun into our marketing assets, while maintaining a consistent style.

infoDev Twitter Account
infoDev Twitter Account
infoDev Facebook Cover Photo
infoDev Facebook Cover Photo
Crowdfunding in Emerging Markets Tweet
Crowdfunding in Emerging Markets Tweet
Ghana Climate Innovation Center Launch on Twitter
Ghana Climate Innovation Center Launch on Twitter
Ghana Climate Innovation Center Launch on Twitter
Ghana Climate Innovation Center Launch on Twitter
Connecting Green Tech Entrepreneurs on Twitter
Connecting Green Tech Entrepreneurs on Twitter

I'm still learning my way around design and branding, but it's an improvement from where we began! Now, I'm working to familiarize myself with the process of creating animated GIFs for Twitter -- it's a great way to share project results or data from our publications.